Wednesday 21 July 2010

Creative Wednesday - Button Trees and Embroidered Flower

As promised in my previous post, here are some of my creative endeavours, which also fit into the unfinished projects category. The idea is to do a creative post every Wednesday, but we'll see how that goes!

This piece of embroidery above was started with the intention of making it into something larger and more 'arty'. That probably won't happen now, so I think I'll try to make something smaller with it. Maybe just a padded ornament, but that sounds a bit dull, now I'm writing it. Hmm...

The second piece is a button tree. I made a few of these, months ago, but never finished them, because I couldn't decide how to stand them up. This one is just plonked into an old cotton reel. I'm not sure if that works or not. Any thoughts or suggestions?

15 comments:

Becksini said...

the button tree is beautiful. Might be nice stood up on a little block of wood that was painted green (well that's how I'd like mine to be mounted)

Barbs favorite things said...

I have little peat pots that you can but in the garden section at Lowes' ar Home Depot. You could use as a pot and weigh down with pebbles. or invert and insert stem (They are pretty soft and be cut to any size with scissors. Good Luck, I'll be anxious to see. Love your embroidered flower. Would love to do something like that myself. Haven't embroidered in years! Barbara

Renee said...

Loving the embroidery too!

Eartha Kitsch said...

I think that it looks beautiful. I always love the way that thread looks though so maybe I'm drawn to that spool of thread. The buttons look like lovely jewel tone flowers. I think it's perfect.

Blue Velvet Chair said...

Love this button tree! Had to post it to my Pinterest button board!
Michael
http://pinterest.com/bluevelvetchair/buttons/

Terrie said...

This is so beautiful! I'm wondering where you got the tree or what it is made of. Would love to make one of these for myself.

Kitsch and Curious said...

Thanks for the kind comments. I made the button tree myself with wire.

Unknown said...

So pretty!

Anonymous said...

Love this..hat isthe tree made from? I think it looks perfect

Chenille Cottage said...

As cute as a button!!
Smiles,
Carolynn

Vanina said...

I love the button tree. What a beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing.

Dottie said...

How many pieces of wire did you start with? 21? And what length are they? By the way I LOVE THIS! And the wooden spool!!!

JuneA** said...

Came over from Dishfunctional Designs--love the tree (and the flower too)! Clever!!

Dove said...

I bought a tree similar to this at a craft show years ago that was glued to a rock. The wire is shaped onto the rock like roots. The rock has flecks of mica in it and the wire is bright copper..it is beautiful.

Unknown said...

What kind of wire did you use to make this?